The Town of Milton has provided me with the below video links and safety information regarding school crossings, PXO, and uncontrolled intersections, and has requested we relay this to our school communities in Milton.
Pedestrian safety website: https://www.milton.ca/en/live/crossingguards.asp
Marked school crossing: https://youtu.be/njxLXBmdQA4
No control: https://youtu.be/mzcpd0y0lpY
If you have any questions, feel free to contact myself or Rebecca Hull (Rebecca.Hull@milton.ca).
Promoting Well-being – Walking to School Safely
Walking to school is a great way for children to be active. Our ECO team is promoting Walk to School Wednesdays. Please consider parking your car and walking on Wednesday!
As a parent you can help your child learn about walking to school safely(external link):
- Be a good role model. Demonstrate road safety rules with your child (e.g. looking both ways when crossing the street).
- Plan a walking route. Assess potential hazards with your child. Encourage your child to stick to the route.
- Remind your child about personal safety. Point out the houses of people you know where they can go for help if needed.
- Adopt a buddy system. Walk with a “walking buddy” – a sibling or a friend.
- Hold the phone. Pedestrian safety is compromised by texting, earphones and cellphone conversation. Electronics like iPods and cellphones should stay in their bag while walking to school.
- Talk about the rules of the road and pedestrian safety.
- Check out Active and Safe Routes to School.A provincial initiative that strives to create an environment that is conducive to, and supportive of, safe, walkable communities.
Halloween Dance a thon
We are still collecting donations for our Halloween Dance-a-thon. This is our one major fundraiser and we will use the funds to supplement student programming and activities. This year we are continuing to support our 21st Century learning initiatives, equipment for the school gymnasium and playground. All envelopes need to be returned to the school by October 26th in order to receive draw tickets. For Every $5.00 raised students receive a draw ticket for the “Teacher Prize Table”.
Don’t forget that prizes for our top sellers include:
- Top School Seller: Apple Ipad;
- Second Top School Seller: Apple Ipad mini;
- Third Top Seller: Movie Tickets and McDonald’s Dinner ($100 value)
- Fourth Top Seller: $50 Gift Card (Champs Family Entertainment Centre)
- Top Classes in Each Division (FDK/Primary/Junior/Intermediate): Pizza Party
Principal, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School