Reminders & Information:
- Pride Awareness Month: Parents should have received an email from the Halton Catholic District School Board on May 26th outlining Pride Awareness Month. The month of June is designated as Pride Month in Canada, which for the 2SLGBTQ+ members in our community is a sign and symbol of love and inclusion. Throughout the month of June HCDSB will be raising awareness around Pride Month and will journey with the 2SLGBTQ+ community in creating spaces of welcome in a search of dignity and justice for all. As Catholics we believe that we are all made in the image and likeness of a God who created us and loves us unconditionally – just as we are. We are called to know, love and celebrate one another, just as God knows, loves and celebrates each one of us because we are “wonderfully made.” We honour the inherent dignity in each other by treating one another with sensitivity, compassion and respect. The Learning Goals for the grades were listed in the email from the Board. All material and activities will be age-appropriate and consistent with grade-level curriculum expectations. If you have any questions please reach out to either Mr. Jurus (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Mrs. Robinson (email@example.com). Additional information can be found on our school website: https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/05/hcdsb-celebrates-pride-month/
What You Can Expect at Lumen Christi:
- Rainbow Day on June 1st: Staff and students are encouraged to dress in rainbow colours; each class will have a lesson and activity related to the rainbow and inclusion from the Board provided Activities and Resources.
- Safe Space Signage: There will be various safe space signage posted in the school.
- Social Media: We will be posting Board-approve Pride Month signage on our website and Twitter throughout the month of June.
- Sacred Heart of Jesus Day on June 11th: For Catholics Sacred Heart of Jesus is a sign and symbol of God’s boundless and passionate love for all humanity. There will be a school-wide liturgy in the morning. More details to follow.
- Pride Awareness Day on June 14th: Each class will have a lesson and activity related to the learning goals for the grade.
- Lumen Christi Yearbook: We will be doing a simplified yearbook this year due to the COVID-19 restrictions. We are asking families to contribute so that we can have 2 pages per class in the yearbook. We are working with Herff Jones to create the yearbook and parents are asked to go to their website (http://www.hjeshare.com) or download the free mobile app (HJ eShare) to upload photos. Families are asked to submit one portrait photo of your child, the school uniform is not required. Use a solid, light coloured background when taking the photo. The deadline to submit is JUNE 15TH. Follow the attached instructions and please note the school code is: LUMENCHRISTI. Yearbooks will be ready for distribution in the fall.
- Remote Learning Reminder: Parents are asked to help remind your children to login for Teams meetings using their school login information (student email and password). When a child logs in as Guest there are restrictions which prevent them from participating in the breakout rooms. To login using the HCDSB email and password: visit the HCDSB website, click on Students, click on the Office 365 icon, enter your @students.hcdsb.org email and password (NOTE: if you do not have this information contact your child’s teacher), click on Teams to launch the app. Thank you for your help.
- Youth COVID-19 Vaccination Program: Information about youth COVID-19 vaccinations can be found on our school website: https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/05/covid-19-youth-vaccination-program/
- PA Day: Please note that Friday, June 4th is a PA Day and there is no school. This day is dedicated to working on Term 2 Report Cards.
- Upcoming Spirit Days: We will have weekly Spirit Days from now to the end of the school year
– June 3 PJ Day
– June 10 Jersey Day
– June 18 Dress Like Your Favourite Staff Member Day
– June 24 Tropical Spirit Day
- Grade 8 Graduation: Save the date for Grade 8 Graduation on Wednesday, June 23rd. We are working behind the scenes to celebrate this milestone event in a meaningful way for our students. An email will be sent to Grade 8 Parents soon with details.