Reminders & Information:
- Stay-At-Home Order Extended: Parents should have received an email from the HCDSB yesterday with information about the Extended Stay-At-Home Order. Please note that schools will remain closed up to June 2nd and we will continue with remote learning.
- iDARE Virtual Walk/Run: On the weekend of May 14th families are invited to join us in our Virtual 5km Walk/Run. This optional family fun event is in support of iDARE – Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism and Equity. All donations will be used to support school initiatives and resources. Please note to make donations visit our school website, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Make a Donation”. This will take you to School Cash Online. Once there, under Gift Information click on Lumen Christi. In the Message section indicate “Donation for Virtual Walk/Run”. Additional information is in the flyer attached. There is also a printable “I’m Walk for…” form. Families are invited to print then fill in the form to raise awareness of equity, diversity and inclusion topics that are important to them, take a photo and then post it to social media using the hashtag #LCSPRINGFUN.
- Staffing Update: As we mentioned in last week’s update, Mrs. Robinson will be leaving us next year to become Vice Principal at Queen of Heaven. We are so thankful for the three year of care and service she provided for our community and we wish her well. At this time, we would like to welcome Mrs. Ann-Marie Melchionna as Vice Principal to Lumen Christi for the 2021-2022 school year. Mrs. Melchionna is coming to us as an experienced VP from St. Gregory the Great Catholic Elementary School in Oakville. Mrs. Melchionna has been with HCDSB for 20 years and brings a wealth of experience in Education both as a classroom teacher, and Special Education Teacher. She looks forward to meeting and working with the Lumen Christi school community in September. Welcome to Lumen Christi Mrs. Melchionna.
- Asian Heritage Month: The theme for Asian Heritage Month 2021, “Recognition, Resilience, and Resolve”, embodies the myriad of sentiments that peoples of Asian descent in Canada have experienced and honours their contributions and their diverse stories which are rooted in resilience and perseverance. It is also a call to action for all Canadians to come together to combat all forms of anti-Asian racism and discrimination. Resources: https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.canada.ca%2Fen%2Fcanadian-heritage%2Fcampaigns%2Fasian-heritage-month.html&data=04%7C01%7CRobinsonA%40hcdsb.org%7C7f4abfe5a23f42d0153508d9147eafad%7C2537ab7d25bd498aa6427c135779e6d2%7C1%7C0%7C637563357942552005%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=EBL2tYRd1eSiw8FJtFIzHqnf3MOQILj%2F546T7B6X5RQ%3D&reserved=0; https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vmacch.ca%2Falpha%2Fevents%2Findex.html&data=04%7C01%7CRobinsonA%40hcdsb.org%7C7f4abfe5a23f42d0153508d9147eafad%7C2537ab7d25bd498aa6427c135779e6d2%7C1%7C0%7C637563357942562002%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=I02rDf7lkI7n8d8nkDhcbCJBB%2BIc9lkNgyMeT4149R4%3D&reserved=0
- Supporting Mental Health and Well-Being: Please find attached tips and strategies prepared for by our HCDSB Child & Youth Counsellors and Social Workers to help support families.
- New to Kindergarten Orientation: An email was sent out to all families who are new to kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year with a link to the Orientation PowerPoint. If you did not receive that email please let Mrs. Amy Robinson (firstname.lastname@example.org) know and she will follow up.
- Moving? If you are moving please contact our school secretary, Mrs. MacDonald (email@example.com). We are trying to ensure our registrations are accurate as we begin planning for the next school year.
- Grade 8 Reach Ahead Program: The Thomas Merton Centre for Adult and Continuing Education is offering Grade 8 Reach Ahead programs in the 2021 Summer School for only those students who are pupils of the Halton Catholic District School Board with the exception of Grade 9 Mathematics courses. Students who wish to avail themselves of these programs must register through myBlueprint on the Thomas Merton Summer School website. Once students have completed their registration for the 2021 Summer School, their application will be placed in Submission status. In order for their application to be processed, it must be Approved. For those students that will be engaging in these reach ahead programs, these courses represent their first exposure to high school credits. However, please be advised: • summer school secondary credits are conducted an accelerated pace (5 times faster than secondary day school programs) over 20 days • students are expected to attend classes from 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday to Friday • students can expect to spend anywhere from 2 to 2.5 hours per day on homework. The deadline for summer school registrations is June 24, 2021 at 4PM sharp. https://merton.hcdsb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Reach-Ahead-SUMMER-SCHOOL-INFORMATION-2021.pdf
- Outdoor Education Halton Conservation Workshops: We are happy to share that we have booked Halton Conservation to conduct virtual workshops with our Kindergarten to Grade 6 classes. These presentations will take place over the next several weeks.
Presented by Halton Families for Families and Kristen Owens
In part two, join us with Kristen Owens as she shares how we can get back to the basics and build a foundation using food to support your immune system.
Wednesday, May 19, 2021
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
USE THIS LINK TO REGISTER: https://bookwhen.com/rock-hfff/e/ev-sxkj-20210519123000