Thank you to Ms. Rossini who was a huge help as Acting Vice Principal while Mrs. Robinson was off. We welcome Mrs. Robinson back and thank Ms. Rossini for her assistance.
Reminders & Information:
- All Schools Moving to Remote Learning: A reminder that on April 12, 2021, the Premier of Ontario announced that all Ontario elementary and secondary schools will be moving to remote learning following the Spring Break. Read the News Release here. Please note that in HCDSB Monday, April 19th will be a transition day to allow for the distribution of technology to families and prepare for the move to remote learning.
- There will be no instruction (synchronous or asynchronous) for students currently enrolled in in-person learning at an HCDSB elementary school.
- Remote instruction for elementary students who have been learning in-person will be begin on Tuesday, April 20th.
- In–person instruction for students with special education needs who cannot be accommodated through remote learning will resume on Tuesday, April 20th.
- For students already enrolled in the Virtual Elementary School instruction will resume on Monday, April 19th, as per the established schedule.
According to the Ministry memo received, the decision to move to remote learning has been made to reduce mobility, and support as many households as possible in staying home to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
Remote learning will be provided for all students in accordance with PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, which provides specific expectations around synchronous learning. Learn more about Remote Learning in our schools.
The following links and documents provide some guidelines for parents and students to help ensure safe and effective live online learning:
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips for Parents
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips Students
- Use of Technology and Digital Citizenship – Policy No. I-43 and Procedure No. VI-62
Access to Your Child’s Learning Platform is available below:
Having Tech Issues? Contact our HCDSB Help Desk for Remote Learners
Additional information and supports for Remote Learning can be found using this link: https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/04/provincial-announcement-all-schools-moving-to-remote-learning-after-spring-break/
- Technology Support for Students: Families who require technology support or devices are to email Mr. Jurus (email@example.com). You will receive a reply email by Saturday. If you have not heard from Mr. Jurus by Saturday at noon please send a follow up email request.
- Approved Device Loan Pick Up: Families who have been approved to borrow a device for remote learning can pick up their device on MONDAY, APRIL 19. Device pick up will be curbside at the main front doors of the school. Families with surname A-L can come from 9:30-10:30am; Families with surname M-Z can come from 10:30-11:30am. If these times do not work for you please email Mr. Jurus (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Concerns or Challenges with Remote Learning? We recognize that the shift to remote learning may cause feelings of stress or anxiousness. If you have concerns or are experiencing challenges with remote learning we encourage you to talk with your child’s teacher and/or Mrs. Robinson, Vice Principal (email@example.com) sometime next week. We are here to help support this transition.
- Catholic School Council Hanging Basket Fundraiser for School Technology: Our Catholic School Council has organized a Mother’s Day Hanging Basket Fundraiser in support of technology in the school. Orders are due by the end of April. Go to SchoolCash to place your order.
- Virtual Bingo Night Number 2: Our first evening of Virtual Bingo was such a success we have decided to have a second evening on April 28. We hope to have this up on SchoolCash by mid week and will be sending out instructions on how to register early next week. All money raised from this event will go towards funding our new iDARE initiatives.
- Catholic School Council Meeting: On Tuesday, April 20th Catholic School Council will meet virtually on Teams at 6:30pm.
- iDARE: We will be having a Student Town Hall on Wednesday, April 21 at 3:30 and then a Parent Town Hall on Tuesday, May 4 at 6:30pm. Information about how to access these meetings will be sent out closer to the dates. Please save the date and we would love to see you all there virtually.