Reminders & Information
- Return to In-Person Learning: A reminder that the HCDSB sent an email on Thursday evening indicating that all HCDSB schools are returning to in-person learning on Monday, February 8th. Please review the email as there were many details included. We have highlighted a few items for you to note:
– Students will return to the learning format that was in place prior to the Christmas break. This means, that if your child was attending their home school and learning in-person, they will return to that format. If your child was enrolled in the Virtual Elementary School before Christmas, they will remain in the Virtual School.
–For students where a change in learning format was requested, the transition to the new format will now take place on Tuesday, February 16th.
– An important reminder to continue monitoring your children for symptoms of COVID-19 and complete the Ontario School Screening Tool for each child each morning, before sending them to school: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
– The Ministry now requires that masks be worn outdoors where physical distancing cannot be maintained. As we cannot ensure physical distancing is being maintained while students are outside during recess, effective Monday, February 8th, all students will now be required to wear their masks when outside at recess and outside after lunch. Your child’s school will ensure that mask breaks are provided throughout the day.
-You may want to consider sending your child to school with multiple masks so that masks can be replaced when they become wet during outdoor use. You are encouraged to read this tip sheet created by Halton Region Public Health on the Use of Non-Medical Masks or Face Coverings in Schools.
– Congregating: To help minimize the spread of COVID-19, we have received Ministry direction to continue to follow physical distancing measures both inside our schools and in outside areas. School staff will be monitoring to ensure that children are not gathering in groups before school starts and after school. Please review with your children about the need to follow physical distancing guidelines and remind your older children to refrain from congregating in groups before and after school. As a reminder, parents are also asked not to gather during drop off and pick up times, and to refrain from carpooling if physical distancing and the use of PPE (masks) cannot be maintained.
– Borrowed Technology: An email will go out on Monday outlining our process for collecting borrowed devices. If your family borrowed a device please keep it at home until you receive further direction in the email.
- Winter Weather Reminders: Families are reminded to send your child(ren) to school in appropriate winter attire including coat, hat, mitts, boots, snow pants. It is always a good idea to send extra mitts and socks as these items may become wet during the day. In accordance with our Board’s Inclement Weather Policy (https://www.hcdsb.org/parents/inclement-weather/) when temperatures are warmer than -15 Degrees Celsius students may remain outside for normal activities; temperatures -15 to -20 Degrees Celsius students may remain outside for 20 minute intervals; colder than -20 Degrees Celsius students must remain inside.
- Black History Month: We had a great start to Black History Month last week with various lessons, activities and our gr. 4-8 guest speaker, Inspiration Republic. This week we have staff professional development related to equity and inclusion, and a Kindergarten-Gr. 3 virtual presentation from the Saidat Show ( http://www.saidat.ca/schools/) which celebrates Black History Month and honors the legacy of prominent Black figures. We encourage you to open the PDF calendar with interactive links for school and community events as well as information to help support our recognition of Black History Month.
- Safe & Welcoming Schools Team: Our Safe & Welcoming Schools Team is meeting on Tuesday, February 9th at 9:15am with a focus on Equity and Inclusion. We are looking for more parent representatives to join us on this team as we learn and collaborate together to make decisions about inclusion, diversity, anti-Black racism, equity related to our school community. If you are interested in joining us please email Mrs. Amy Robinson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will send you the Teams meeting invitation.
- Local Love Day/Paint the Town Red Day: Each year HCDSB participates in Paint the Town Red Day in support of our local United Way. On Friday, February 12th staff and students are encouraged to wear red and show our support for this worthy cause. This will be a non-uniform day. Donations can be made through School Cash Online. An email regarding donations will go out on Monday.
- Valentine’s Day Card Exchange: Students have the option to bring in paper Valentine’s Day Cards to exchange with classmates. We are trying to provide opportunities for fun activities while following our Board protocols related to COVID-19. If your child would like to bring in paper Valentine’s Cards to exchange please follow these instructions:
– Students who want to participate bring in their Valentine’s by Thursday, February 11th in a large labelled ziplock bag. This large ziplock bag will be reused to bring home the Valentines your child receives.
– On February 12th students will take turns to distribute Valentines (e.g., each student will put their Valentines int their classmates bag). Staff will ensure students hand sanitize before and after distributing.
– Valentines will sit in “quarantine” until Tuesday, February 16th. On that day each child will take home their bag to open at home.
Paper Valentine’s Cards only will be allowed. Food treats and candy are not permitted.