THANK YOU to our staff, students and parents for another successful week of virtual learning. We know that virtual online learning has been a big shift and has impacted your families. We continue to appreciate everyone’s positive attitude, patience and kindness. We will continue to support each other because We are Lumen Christi and We Will Shine!
Reminders & Information
- Safe & Welcoming Schools Team: We had our second meeting with our Safe & Welcoming Schools Team on January 12. The meeting focused on equity and inclusion and wellness. We gathered feedback from all stakeholders which will inform the work at the school level. You can expect to hear more information in the coming weeks about what we are doing to support equity and inclusion. Wellness was our second focus area. One suggestion from our students was to create artwork that could be shared to promote equity, inclusion and wellness. We are proud to share with you the artwork from one of our Grade 4 representatives and we hope you will share it with your family. It might provide a good conversation at home about the ways we can inspire kindness in each other.
- Wellness Week: We have Wellness Week happening the last week of January (25th to 29th) with activities geared at mental, physical, spiritual wellness. Our Wellness Week begins with our virtual Guest Speaker, Sara Westbrook. Sara Westbrook is a motivational speaker who specializes in resilience, confidence and mental well-being. Mark your calendars for January 25th at 7pm. More information has been posted on our school website: https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/01/parent-night-save-the-date/ and a link for this event will be shared closer to the date. We hope you can join us.
- Attendance: During this period of remote learning, we continue to promote regular attendance, as it is important for students to remain engaged in their learning so they can stay on top of the curriculum and feel more connected to their peers while our school is closed. As noted in PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, schools are required to take daily student attendance throughout the period of remote learning. Attendance will be taken twice daily: once in the morning and again after lunch. If your child is not able to attend or participate in remote learning on any given day, please report his or her absence, as you typically would during in-person learning through the SchoolMessenger Safe Arrival System: https://www.hcdsb.org/parents/report-your-childs-absence/. We will be following our usual process of contacting parents and guardians when student absences are not reported. Thank you for your continued support and partnership. Now, more than ever, ongoing communication between home and school is key to your child’s success and well-being.
- From St. Benedict Parish: Registration forms for First Reconciliation/First Communion and Confirmation will be sent out this week to parents of students in grades two, three and seven.
For students in JK to Grade 4 please see below the links for the virtual children liturgy program:
January 17 http://bit.ly/2LmlZT9
January 24 http://bit.ly/3rY9u16
January 31 http://bit.ly/3bcLFMX
- LC Friday Spirit Days: For the rest of January we will have Spirit Wear Fridays. Staff and students are encouraged to wear your LC Spirit Wear and/or blue and yellow. Feel free to take a picture of your family in their LC Spirit Wear/Colours and tag us on social media using the hashtag: #LCtogetherapart @lclightmilton
- Kindergarten Registration: Families can register their children for kindergarten by following the information in this link. We encourage you to register as soon as possible. If you have any questions please contact the main office at the school. https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/01/update-advanced-kindergarten-registration/
- PA Day: A reminder that Friday, February 5th is a PA Day and teachers will be working on Term 1 Report Cards.