THANK YOU to our staff, students and parents for a successful week of virtual learning. We want to recognize the extra efforts and enthusiasm of our staff for pivoting quickly and effectively to the virtual learning environment. We also want to thank our parents who have supported, coached and monitored the learning of your children. We know this has been a big shift and has impacted your families. We are in this together and everyone’s positive attitude, patience and kindness has meant a lot. As we continue in this virtual format for the next two weeks we will continue to support each other remembering that We are Lumen Christi and We Will Shine!
Reminders & Information:
- Attendance: During this period of remote learning, we continue to promote regular attendance, as it is important for students to remain engaged in their learning so they can stay on top of the curriculum and feel more connected to their peers while our school is closed. As noted in PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, schools are required to take daily student attendance throughout the period of remote learning. Attendance will be taken twice daily: once in the morning and again after lunch. If your child is not able to attend or participate in remote learning on any given day, please report his or her absence, as you typically would during in-person learning through the SchoolMessenger Safe Arrival System: https://www.hcdsb.org/parents/report-your-childs-absence/. We will be following our usual process of contacting parents and guardians when student absences are not reported. Thank you for your continued support and partnership. Now, more than ever, ongoing communication between home and school is key to your child’s success and well-being.
- Virtual Learning Reminders: As you are aware the school closure period has been extended up to and including January 22nd. The change in learning format between in-person and virtual instruction will be delayed until school re-open for in-person learning on January 25, 2021. As we continue with virtual learning we wanted to share a few tips and reminders with our families: 1. We follow our school schedule and encourage our students to be on time and ready to learn. 2. Support your child by getting them logged in for the morning and checking in regularly throughout the day. At break times, encourage your child to walk away from the device; this is a good movement break opportunity. 3. We recognize this is a very different learning environment. If your child is having difficulty in this learning environment reach out to your child’s teacher.
- LC Friday Spirit Days: For the rest of January we will have Spirit Wear Fridays. Staff and students are encouraged to wear your LC Spirit Wear and/or blue and yellow. Feel free to take a picture of your family in their LC Spirit Wear/Colours and tag us on social media using the hashtag: #LCtogetherapart @lclightmilton
- Safe & Welcoming School Team Meeting #2 is taking place on Tuesday, January 12th at 9:15am. Student and parent reps should have received an email with a Teams Meeting invitation. If you have any questions please email Mrs. Robinson (email@example.com).
- SAVE THE DATE Parent Presentation: We are very excited to share that we have booked a virtual guest speaker to come to Lumen Christi! Sara Westbrook is a motivational speaker who specializes in resilience, confidence and mental well-being. Mark your calendars for January 25th at 7pm. More information has been posted on our school website: https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/01/parent-night-save-the-date/ and a link for this event will be shared closer to the date. We hope you can join us.
- Kindergarten Registration: Families can register their children for kindergarten by following the information in this link. We encourage you to register as soon as possible. If you have any questions please contact the main office at the school. https://elem.hcdsb.org/lumenchristi/2021/01/update-advanced-kindergarten-registration/