Thank you to our Grade 6s for leading a beautiful assembly on the virtue of love. Our assembly also focused on Black History Month and the importance of recognizing Black History Month and raising awareness.
Our virtue assembly set the tone for the rest of the month of February. As a school we will be exploring ways we can “Love Thy Neighbor” by acts of kindness, taking care of ourselves and others and building community. We will focus on equity and inclusiveness through our Black History month activities as well as our anti-bullying initiatives. Our Safe and Welcoming Schools team has a few initiatives planned for this month including heart-shaped cookie sales, Pink Shirt Day, and classroom lessons. We will post reminders on our school website and we will Tweet about our initiatives and activities!
Reminders & Information:
- Grade 3-8 Basketball: Jean Vanier would like to welcome all grade 3 to 8 students to our 6th Annual Thursday Night Elementary Basketball Camp that will be running at Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School on Thursdays from April 9, 2020 through to May 28th, 2020 (8 weeks).This is an optional paid program. Registration is first come, first serve. The registration form can be accessed here or hard copies are available in the main office. Thursday Night Player Application 2020
- Heart-Shaped Cookie Sales: The Lumen Christi Safe and Welcoming Schools Team is selling Terra Cotta Vanilla Heart-Shaped cookies for $2 each to raise funds for the Halton Food for Thought. We are accepting orders from February 5th to February 12th. Students can bring their toonie into their classroom teacher by Wednesday, February 12th. Please send exact change only to school if paying by cash. Parents can also pay using School Cash Online. Please note: if your child wants to receive a cookie an order must be placed ahead of time as cookies will not be sold on the day.The Safe and Welcoming Schools Team will deliver pre-ordered cookies to classrooms on Thursday, February 20th. Terra Cotta cookies are nut-free.
- HCDSB Alumni Award: Celebrating Our Catholic School Graduates! We are excited to announce the launch of our new HCDSB Alumni Award. The HCDSB Alumni Award has been designed to celebrate the graduates of our system who embody the attributes of the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations (OCSGEs). Beginning this school year, and each year moving forward, we will recognize seven (7) HCDSB Alumni Award recipients during Catholic Education Week. Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2020 HCDSB Alumni Awards – deadline for submissions is Monday, March 30, 2020. Learn more about the selection criteria and nomination process here.
- Term 2 Pizza Orders: Term 2 Pizza Orders are now available on School Cash Online. Term 2 pizza runs from March 5th to June 25th. Orders are due by Friday, February 28th. Please note there was an error on School Cash Online. Term 1 pizza runs each Thursday in the month of February. If you order pizza for Term 2 there will be no interruption to pizza lunches.
- PA Day February 14th: A reminder that Friday, February 14th is a PA Day and there is no school on that day.
- Family Day: A reminder that Monday, February 17th is Family Day and there is no school on that day.
- Lost & Found Items: All Lost & Found items are currently on display in our main foyer. If your child has lost an item we encourage you to look through the Lost & Found to see if you can find it. Lost & Found will remain on display until the end of the month. Any unclaimed items will be donated.
- Wellness Tips:
- Please open the link for a great article on how teaching empathy can prevent bullying https://www.verywellfamily.com/teach-empathy-and-prevent-bullying-460744
- ROCK Parent Drop-In Talks: The Reach Out Centre for Kids (ROCK) is hosting parent drop-in talks. Please open the link for further information: https://rockevents.ca/event/parent-drop-in-talks/
- Prevention and Handwashing: To help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses we remind our community:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water;
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing;
- If you do not have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm;
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces regularly; and
- If you or your family members are ill, stay home.
~ Mr. Jurus and Mrs. Robinson