Reminders & Information:
- First Day Reminders:
- Grade 1: All Grade 1 students are to be dropped off in the kindergarten yard on the first day of school. There will be several staff on hand in the kindergarten area to help you and your child find the classroom teacher.
- Grade 2 to 8: On the first day of school Grade 2 to 8 students will assemble outside on the back playground by their grade/teacher sign posted. Students will be greeted by their classroom teacher and escorted inside the school at the bell. Parents are kindly asked to stay outside once the students have been escorted into the school. There will be several staff assisting with our entry on the first day of school.
- Kindergarten Staggered Entry:
- The first day of school for our Senior Kindergarten-Year 2 students will be Thursday, September 6th. All Year 2 students will enter through the Kindergarten playground on this day. Supervision begins at 8:05 a.m. Our bell rings at 8:20 a.m.
- September 4th and 5th will see our Kindergarten teams conducting entrance interviews and orientation visits for our JK-Year 1 students and new to Lumen Christi SK – Year 2 students. All Year 1 and Year 2 Kindergarten students will be in full attendance as of Monday, September 10th. If you are the parent of a Year 1 student or a new to Lumen Christi Year 2 student and you have not received the letter detailing the date and time for your entrance interview and orientation, please contact the school office for this information.
- Medical Information: In order for school staff to provide a safe environment for all students with medical conditions, parents, students and staff must work together! If your child has a medical condition (e.g., anaphylaxis, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, sickle cell, heart condition, etc.) or requires prescription or non-prescription medication to be administered during the school day, you MUST review the appropriate Parent/Guardian package and complete all required forms. To act in the best interests of your child, please complete the required paperwork and provide required medication. Students returning to Lumen Christi received packages in June. If you require a copy of these packages, please contact the Main Office. All medication and forms must be received by the school on Tuesday, September 4th, 2018.
- School Safety Update: Lumen Christi is an allergen reduced environment. One of the strategies we use to help keep our students safe is to remind parents, guardians and caregivers to kindly ensure that you send your child to school with peanut-free/nut-free food products to school. This includes look-a-like products to peanut butter. These products claim to be so close in smell, taste and texture to peanut butter, that it is nearly impossible for students and staff to distinguish between a look-a-like product and authentic peanut butter. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping the look-a-like products at home and preventing a mix-up of the two products, where the results could be life-threatening. For this same reason, we cannot accept treats for birthdays or celebrations and monitor this very closely. Please note that food products brought in from fast food restaurants may have come in contact with potential allergens. Please refrain from bringing fast food items and outside food products into the school.
- Catholic School Council: We are looking for parents who are interested in joining our Catholic School Council. Nomination packages will be available on Wednesday, September 5th on our school website or hard copy in the main office. Nominations are due back to Mr. Jurus by Friday, September 14th, 2018 by 4pm.
- Eco Club: The Eco Club is excited to be back and to support Lumen Christi in loving and protecting the earth! This coming year we will continue to support students in thinking about their impact on the earth, especially when packing their lunch. A liter-less lunch is always best but every effort helps. Please focus on reducing on eliminating single use plastics (e.g., water bottles, snack wrappers, zip lock baggies, etc.) As stewards of the earth, we are looking forward to working together and having fun. We thank you for your continued support.
- Welcome Back BBQ & Curriculum Night: A reminder that our Welcome Back BBQ and Curriculum Night take place on Tuesday, September 11th. The BBQ is catered by Troy’s Diner from 5:30-6:30 p.m. and classroom curriculum sessions are 6:30-7:00 p.m. and 7:00-7:30 p.m.
We look forward to welcoming everyone back this week!
Your Partners in Catholic Education,
Mr. Jurus (Principal) and Mrs. Robinson (Vice Principal)