“If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. That’s the beauty of being alive. We can always start all over again.” ~St. Bernadette Soubirous
Dear HRM Families,
Thank you to all of our amazing students, staff, and families for all of your support as we switched to Teacher-led Remote Learning this week.
Thank you Ms. Cutrara for all of your work in preparing devices and problem solving tech issues- we appreciate all of your support with both students and staff.
Thank you Ms. Babin with all of your support in distributing devices and helping with many resource-pick-up’s.
Thank you to our amazing Spec Ed Team for their flexibility and positivity as our team continues to work from school.
Reporting students’ absences: Although we have made the switch to Teacher-led Remote Learning, we are still mandated by the ministry to continue tracking students’ attendance. If your child is away, please promptly report the absence through the Safe Arrival Program. If your child is away for multiple days, please connect with your child’s teacher to ensure that there is a plan for missed work.
Planning on switching your child’s learning environment (from in-person to virtual or vice-versa beyond the Government mandated period): Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, HCDSB has revised the plan to provide greater flexibility for families. Families will now be offered two (2) opportunities fo request a change to learning environment for elementary students. The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th. The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR FAMILIES REQUESTING A CHANGE TO THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL: If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment: If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE FORM HERE
This online form will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14, 2022.
Next Steps: Once the online form has closed, Board staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
Health and Physical Education Parent/Guardian Remote Learning Information and Checklist: Please check out the checklist for Health and Physical education for your children before and while they participate virtually. This checklist is also posted on the class platform.
UPDATED COVID-19 Safety Measures: For the safety and well-being of all students and staff, parents and guardians must perform daily screening of their child(ren) for COVID-19 symptoms BEFORE leaving for school using the COVID-19 Self-Assessment.
- Check your child’s temperature to ensure they do not have a fever (temperature greater than 37.8C)
- Monitor for signs and symptoms (including atypical symptoms) of COVID-19
- Individuals experiencing seymptoms consistent with COVID-19 as identified in the screening tool, must not attend school and should follow the guidance provided in the screening tool
The Government of Ontario daily self-screening tool can be accessed here: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
Interested in becoming a Lunchtime Supervisor: If you are interested in becoming a lunch time supervisor for the school please contact the school at 905-876-1121 or email Ms. Owens at OwensD@hcdsb.org. All interested individuals must have a valid clear criminal reference check with the vulnerable sector dated within a year.
Family Literacy Day (January 27): https://abclifeliteracy.ca/all-programs/family-literacy-day/
Promoting Well-Being: Questions & Answers- COVID-19- My child’s wellbeing: https://smho-smso.ca/covid-19/parents-and-families/12
Follow us on Twitter @HolyRosaryM- 1149 followers & counting!
Wishing you a great weekend – the Staff of Holy Rosary-Milton CES