Greetings Holy Rosary Families!
We are back at it and we want to extend our thank you to you for your support of remote learning…again, and your support of our staff and students too. We certainly hope we can be back in the school soon – however, in the meantime, let’s do our part to make this experience rewarding, purposeful, restorative and fun too!
School Spirit Day – Flannel Fun Friday – January 14th
After a dedicated work week – every child deserves a flannel Friday! Now your tops –on screen, can match your comfy bottoms – off the screen, and you can showcase your cozy flannels all day Friday! See you on Friday in your flannel shirts or flannel PJs.
Change to Learning Environment for Elementary Students – Request Form Now Open! A time-sensitive message from HCDSB:
The online form to request a change to your child’s learning environment (i.e. virtual or in-person) is now open and is time-sensitive.
As you know, as per Ministry of Education direction, we have moved to remote learning for all students until at least January 17, 2022.
NOTE: Any requested changes will come into effect on January 24, 2022, however, if the Ministry of Education extends the remote learning period, the requested changes will come into effect once schools re-open for
The Return to School Plan 2021-2022 indicated only one opportunity to request a change to the learning environment for elementary students (i.e. virtual learning to in-person learning or vice versa). The original timelines would have seen the requested changes come into effect as of Tuesday, February 22, 2022, and would have remained in effect until the end of the school year (June 2022).
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, we have revised our plan to provide greater flexibility for families. We will now offer two (2) opportunities for families to request a change to learning environment for elementary students.
- The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th.
The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR FAMILIES REQUESTING A CHANGE TO THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL:
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
- The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
Request to Change Learning Environment
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before the break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
COMPLETE THE ONLINE FORM HERE
This online form will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14, 2022.
Please direct any technical questions regarding this form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
About the HCDSB Virtual Elementary School – St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School
- Read the Parent Handbook to gain a better understanding of the learning model offered at St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School.
- You may also visit the St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary School website for more information.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this form, ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas break.
Parish News RE: Sacraments
Thank you to our school community for taking the time to complete the parish registration for Grade 2 and 7 Sacramental preparations. The In-Person Parent Meetings at Holy Rosary Church set for January 12 and January 19th have been postpone. Meetings in the Church are not permitted at this time – and we will move forward with plans as we receive provincial updates. Thank you for your patience.
Remote Learning Update
Remote learning is being provided for all students in accordance with PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, which provides specific expectations around synchronous learning. Learn more: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/return-to-school-2/remote-learning/.
The following links and documents provide some guidelines for parents and students to help ensure safe and effective live online learning:
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips for Parents
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips Students
- Use of Technology and Digital Citizenship – Policy No. I-43 and Procedure No. VI-62
- Having Tech Issues? Contact our HCDSB Help Desk for Remote Learners
Attendance Matters…even remotely…
Students are expected to be online and ready to start learning at 8:35am each day where attendance will be taken. If a student joins the class meeting late they will be considered late. After 9am, students will be considered absent and the automated absence system will call to verify the student’s location. This process will also be occurring after lunch for PM attendance, when students are expected to be online and ready for the afternoon session which begins at 12:30pm or 12:50pm each day, and system will again call by 1:05pm.
It is important that if there is a planned late or absence for your child(ren), that you enter the information in the Safe Arrival program. This is the same process that has been in place for in person learning. Absences or lates can be recorded through the SchoolMessenger app, or visit the website at: go.schoolmessenger.ca . Thank you for your support.
Health and Physical Education Parent/Guardian Information & Checklist
Please check out the checklist for Health and Physical education for your children before and while they participate virtually. This checklist is also posted on the class platforms and shared by the teachers.
We thank you for your support of our Pizza Days. Please note that we have postponed them and hope to resume them upon our return to in-person learning.
Mental Health and Well-Being – Learn at Home Support
To support families during this time, HCDSB has created a series of Mental Health & Well-Being resource packages and provided links to community supports, resources and initiatives. These resources are designed to support and enhance the great work that your family is already doing! When visiting this page On the HCDSB website, we encourage you to utilize this “menu of options” as you feel would best meet the needs of your family. Please visit:
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
The Holy Rosary CES Staff