Bear with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgive each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”
~ Colossians 3:13
Labour Negotiations Update
Our school will be CLOSED to students on Tuesday, January 21, 2020 as a result of the recent announcement by OECTA of a province-wide, one-day full withdrawal of services. Although classes will be cancelled on Tuesday, January 21st, our school office will remain open for Advanced Kindergarten Registration on January 21st. For more information, please visit the Halton Catholic District School Board’s website: Labour Negotiations Update.
Please note that for currently enrolled families, our YMCA will offer a full-day program, on Tuesday, January 21st, 2020. This would be structured the way that P.A. days are typically structured, with service from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Parents are encouraged to contact the extended day provider at their school with their questions about program offerings: HolyCross@ymcagta.org — 416-716-6200.
New Kindergarten Registration
We are excited to welcome all our new Kindergarten children and families during our Kindergarten Registration, on Tuesday, January 21st and Wednesday, January 22nd. Parents registering their children for the Kindergarten Program are asked to register ONLINE and complete the Kindergarten Questionnaire. Parents must then bring their documentation, which includes Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate and proof of address, into the school to complete the registration process. Please note that Year 1 (JK) Kindergarten students already attending Holy Cross do NOT need to register for Year 2 (SK) Kindergarten.
Tour for Humanity Bus
On October 16, 2015, The Halton Catholic District School Board Trustees passed a motion to establish an annual and board wide recognition of the United Nations International Holocaust Awareness Day on January, 27th. In recognition of this Board-wide initiative, we have invited the Tour for Humanity Bus from the Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies to come out to Holy Cross on January 23rd. Rather than have students travel to their center, they come to us and deliver their presentation! The Grade 7 and 8 classes will participate in interactive lessons within the tour bus. Intermediate students will then use their learning to prepare and deliver a prayer service to the school on January 27th. We look forward to an enriching experience!
Back by popular demand – Spirit Wear!
Several staff and students have been modelling the Spirit Wear purchased before Christmas, and since they look so fabulous (!), we have had many inquiries about offering another opportunity to purchase Spirit Wear!
Please note that School Cash-on-line will be set up to receive your orders from January 19th (today) until midnight on February 2nd. The ordering options (colours, etc…) are identical to those offered before Christmas.
A note for parents of Grade 8 students: Grade 8 classes will be offered the option of a special GRAD Hoodie at approximately 45.00. This special sweatshirt includes class signatures and options for personalization. Samples and exact pricing information will be available shortly. Please note that you are welcome to purchase both the GRAD Hoodie and the Spirit wear. It is important to us to ensure that you have all information before making your decision.
Optional food orders
A reminder that the deadline for ordering pizza is January 19th, 2020 – TODAY! This next session of pizza deliveries begins on February 6th (first order of Term 2).
Please rest assured that we DO have pizza this Thursday – January 23rd is the last Term 1 Pizza Day.
Holy Cross also offers the option for Pita Pit or Subway lunches on alternating Thursdays. Please review the ordering process for Lunchbox orders:
- Go online at www.lunchboxorders.com
- Click “ORDER LUNCH”. Click “Create an Account” to register your family’s account.
- Already registered? Please login directly with your current user name (e-mail address) and password. Add your child to your account by clicking “add a student” and register your child with their new teacher and grade for the current school year.
- Click “Order Now” (beside your child’s name) to access the school’s ordering calendar.
- Proceed with ordering your child’s lunch by clicking on the blue box for each restaurant featured. All orders are submitted on the website and payment is processed on-line by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Debit MasterCard or Visa Debit. Visa and MasterCard prepaid cards are also accepted.
*Things to Remember:
- Ensure the correct teacher and grade are selected to prevent missed or lost lunches on the day of delivery. • New orders must be placed by Sunday at 12pm (NOON) for the following week. • Orders will not be accepted after the Sunday deadline. • Cancellations will be accepted two (2) days prior to delivery. • If buses are cancelled due to inclement weather or if there is a school closure, all lunches will be cancelled and rescheduled for another school day.
Questions? Contact the Lunchbox Orders customer service team at 1.877.426.6860, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be reminded that Pizza is every other Thursday and that Lunchbox orders are on the alternate Thursdays. All dates are noted in our website calendar https://elem.hcdsb.org/holycross/calendar/
Holy Cross Tip
Winter is a great season for outdoor activities, such as sledding and skating. Cold weather, ice, and snow can be lots of fun, when enjoyed safely. The following tips will help parents and children enjoy winter activities safely.
- Children shouldn’t play outside alone. Establish a buddy system with one or more friends and have them look out for one another. Children younger than 8 years of age should always be supervised outside.
- Consider keeping them indoors whenever the temperature or the wind chill is reported to be -20°C or lower. At these temperatures, exposed skin will begin to freeze.
- Never send children outside unsupervised in extreme weather conditions such as snowstorms.
- Check often to see that your child is warm and dry. Younger children should take regular breaks and come inside for a warm drink.
- Help children choose play areas with a warm shelter nearby (e.g., near home or a friend’s home).
- Apply sunscreen to exposed skin, even when it’s cloudy.
Source: Caring for kids
Please check our school calendar found on our school website to keep on top of upcoming events:
AM Toltl/M. Simon