Yesterday was the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord. We pray that Jesus will continue to remain active in our lives during throughout this pandemic and this period of remote learning, giving us the grace to persevere in faith.
Thank you to all our amazing students, staff, and families for all your support as we switched to Teacher-led Remote Learning this week.
Thank you to Mrs. Stephens, Mrs. Marshall, Mrs. Rivett-Rob, Mrs. Walters and our SERTs Mr. Duguid, Ms. Jaroszewicz and Mrs. Stephenson for all their work in preparing devices and problem-solving tech issues, as well as support in facilitating device distribution and helping with many resource pickups.
REMOTE LEARNING UPDATE
According to the Ministry of Education and the Government of Ontario, the period of remote learning will continue at least until Monday, January 17, 2022. This learning will provided for all students in accordance with PPM 164: Requirements for Remote Learning, which provides specific expectations around synchronous learning. Learn more: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/return-to-school-2/remote-learning/.
The following links and documents provide some guidelines for parents and students to help ensure safe and effective live online learning:
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips for Parents
- Learning at Home – Live Online Learning Tips Students
- Use of Technology and Digital Citizenship – Policy No. I-43 and Procedure No. VI-62
Access to Your Child’s Learning Platform:
PLEASE NOTE: if you are having tech issues, please reach out to HCDSB Help Desk at: 905-632-6314, xt 500 or email: email@example.com. Individual teachers or the school office staff are not trained on these technical issues or will likely not be able to assist you.
Also, be mindful that the teachers are not accessible during the regular school day (8:30 am – 3:00 pm) to deal with individual student technical issues as they are engaged in delivering the online lesson to the remainder of the school, as they would be during in person learning. Arrangements will need to be made with the teacher outside of these hours to brainstorm a solution to the issue. Thank you for your cooperation in this!
PHYSICAL EDUCATION IN REMOTE LEARNING
Please see the attached document that should be reviewed by Parents/Guardians related to maintaining a safe environment during this Physical Education.
TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS
We have supplied devices to over 170 students! The online survey requesting devices and/or internet (Wi-Fi) is now closed. to enable them to access or fully participate in teacher-led instruction in an online environment. If you are in the position that you still require these supports so that your child(ren) can participate in Remote Learning, please contact Mr. Hawken, the Principal, directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and arrangements can be made.
SWITCHING YOUR CHILD’S LEARNING ENVIRONMENT (FROM IN-PERSON TO VIRTUAL OR VICE-VERSA)
Given the Province’s temporary move to Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopening in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, HCDSB has revised the plan to provide greater flexibility for families. Families will now be offered two (2) opportunities to request a change to learning environment for elementary students. The first opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students is now available. The online request form will be open from Wednesday, January 5th until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14th. The requested changes will come into effect on Monday, January 24, 2022, or once schools re-open for in-class instruction if the period of remote learning is extended.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR FAMILIES REQUESTING A CHANGE TO THE VIRTUAL SCHOOL:
- If schools resume in-person instruction on January 17th, families who wish to keep their children home until the switch occurs on January 24th will be able to access asynchronous resources for their children through their current class on the D2L platform during the week of January 17-21.
- Parents/guardians requesting a change for their children to the virtual elementary school (St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Elementary Virtual School) will be asked to choose whether they want to keep their children enrolled in virtual learning until the final change in Learning Environment opportunity after Easter OR until the end of the school year.
The final opportunity to request a change in learning environment for elementary students will be released after March Break. The requested changes will come into effect after Easter on Tuesday, April 19th.
If you wish to change your child’s learning environment by switching from in-class instruction to the virtual school, or vice versa, please complete the online request form below. Please complete this form ONLY if you would like to make a change to the learning environment that your child was in prior to the Christmas Break. If you want your child to remain in the same learning format they were in before Christmas Break, no further action is required.
Important notes before you complete the online form:
- Please submit a separate form for each child.
- You will need your child’s Ontario Education Number (OEN) to submit this request. The OEN can be found on a recent report card.
- This online request form applies to elementary students ONLY. Requests for changes in the learning environment at the secondary school level should be sent directly to your child’s secondary school.
This online form will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, January 14, 2022.
- Once the online form has closed, our staff will begin to work through the rescheduling process.
- Parents and guardians will receive confirmation of the changes to their children’s learning environment by Wednesday, January 19th.
- The changes to your child’s learning environment will come into effect as of Monday, January 24, 2022, or once in-school instruction resumes, if it extends beyond January 24th.
- If in-class instruction resumes on January 17th, your child’s current placement (in-class or virtual) will continue to be in place for the week of January 17-21. Asynchronous instruction will be posted for students, should parents/guardians decide to keep their children home while awaiting the switch to the virtual school.
NOTE! UPDATED COVID-19 SCREENING TOOL
Please note that the Ontario Government has updated the symptoms and protocols for Covid-19. The school screening link is: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
- School staff (Teachers, Educational Assistants, etc.) as well as board professionals (e.g. Speech and Language Pathologists) will continue to provide support and services for students with special needs virtually throughout the extended remote learning period.
- Students with special education needs who cannot be accommodated through remote learning will continue to receive in-person support during the extended remote learning period.
PIZZA and POPCORN DAYs
We will adjust the dates for pizza and popcorn once we return to in-person learning to account for the missed days.
CATHOLIC SCHOOL COUNCIL
Our next virtual Catholic School Council meeting will be held Monday, January 10th from 6:30-8:00 pm. Please email email@example.com if you wish to be added to the Teams meeting.
REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR KINDERGARTEN!
To facilitate planning for the 2022-2023 school year, we encourage all families intending to register Kindergarten children at Guardian Angels by following the guideline posted on our website: https://elem.hcdsb.org/guardianangels/2021/12/register-your-child-for-kindergarten-2/
ST. BENEDICT PARISH NEWS
FAITH & WELL-BEING RESOURCES
We recognize that this period of remote learning will create additional burdens on our families and staff.
Here are a list of supports for families to access during this difficult time:
- School Mental Health Ontario: www.smho-smso.ca.
- Kids Help Phone at 1 (800) 668-6868 or visit KidsHelpPhone.ca for 24/7 support.
- Faith & Well-Being Resources: https://learnathome.hcdsb.org/faith-well-being/
Follow us on Twitter @GAngelsMilton