NATIONAL ABORGINAL VETERANS DAY
This November 8th is National Aboriginal Veterans Day, a day of remembrance and commemoration of the contributions of Indigenous veterans in the First and Second World Wars, as well as the Korean War. This Aboriginal Veterans Day, we would like to express our gratitude for the contributions Indigenous veterans have made to Canada and the world.
REMEMBRANCE DAY LITURGY
On Thursday, November 11th at 10:30 our school will be participating in a Remembrance Day Liturgy led by our Grade 1 classes of Ms. DiBlasio, Mrs. Lee and Ms. Weishar. Please go to the following Teams Link to join: https://tinyurl.com/45cxvwm9
A very special thank you to all families and business who donated funds, time, decorations, and/or prizes to our Annual Dance-a-thon. Thanks to the combined efforts, we raised $6,470 which will directly go back to the school to benefit the students for such items as assemblies, new playground and gym equipment, technology, graduation and compassionate care. Below is the list of prizes, the donors and the winners:
- Board games. Donated by the Trovao family and the Penman family. Winners: Jacob P, Anthony Y, Landon E, Ryan P, Carter P (3), Connor N, Jordan N, Serena A, Colton F, Daniel F, Ryker P, Gia A
- Pandora bracelet. Donated by the Perez family. Winner: Gwenyth G
- Bill Nye Virtual Reality Science Kit. Donated by the Felice family. Winner: Kinsley F
- Star Wars X-Wing with pilot and Boba Feet figure. Donated by the Felice family. Winner: Avery W.
- 2 Skedaddle Passes. Donated by Skedaddle Milton. Winner: Wyatt V.
- LOL Doll. Donated by Indigo, Milton. Winner: Ella F
- How to Trains Your Dragon toy. Donated by Indigo, Milton. Winner: Jada N.
- Laser Tag Game. Donated by Canadian Tire, Milton. Winner: Katerina M.
- Cooler bags with flashlights. Donated by The Ontario Nurses’ Association. Winners: Sierra H, Chloe D.
- $10 Tim Hortons gift cards with Cooler cups. Donated by The Ontario Nurses’ Association. Winners: Alex M, Marcella T
- Pandora Bracelet. Donated by an anonymous donor. Winner: Jacob M
- Movie theatre passes. Donated by Cineplex, Milton. Winners: Elisha S, Laura Z, Katarina G (2), Gwenyth G, Michele D,
- $25 gift cards for La Rose Bakery. Donated by La Rose Bakery. Winners: Mia M, Sebastian M
- Private passes to Cineplex movie theatre. Donated by an anonymous donor. Winner: Matteo R
- $50 Indigo gift card. Donated by the Grbic family. Winner: Hudson H
- $25 Amazon gift card. Donated by an anonymous donor. Winner: Ryan P
- $50 Pro Bass gift card. Donated by an anonymous donor. Winner: Avery S
- $20 Winners gift card. Donated by the Alao family. Winner: Ella F.
- Lunch bags. Donated by TD Bank Mississauga, Milverton Branch. Winners: Milla G, Daniel F, Carter P
- Water bottles. Donated by TD Bank Mississauga, Milverton Branch. Winners: Rose A, Daniel F
- Beach balls. Donated by TD Bank Mississauga, Milverton Branch. Winners: Colton F, Chloe D, Zachary G, Michelle D, Shyanne D (2), Augusto C, Antonio S, Ezra G, Guiliana P, Anysia S, Zaxier K, Olivia S, Dominic M, Abigayle M, Ethan G, Alex L, Carter P, Sloane S, Riley D,
- Tim Hortons Gift cards. Donated by Tim Hortons, Milton. Winners: Brody G, Quinton M, Madison B, Sofia J, Michelle D
- White Wireless Speaker. Donated by an anonymous donor. Winner: Maya K
- $50 Ingigo gift card. donated by the Jensen family. Winner: Ava A
- 30 minute individual Piano lesson or 1 hour group class from Gracelene’s School of Music. Donated by the Alao family. Winner: Kaitlyn H
- Candy and treat bags. Donated by the Gyles family. Winners: Marcello T, Ellidia D, Meah J, Anysia S
- Toronto Blue Jays Danny Jansen signed baseball and bat. Donated by the Toronto Blue Jays. Winner: Ryan L
- Toronto Maple Leaf Wayne Simmonds signed hockey jersey. Donated by the Toronto Maple Leafs. Winner: Samantha R
- Principal for the Day and lunch with a friend. Donated by Mr. Hawken. Winner: Amelia D
There is no school for the students on Friday, November 26th. The day is set aside to allow for Parent teacher Interviews (see more below).
PROGRESS REPORTS and PARENT TEACHER INTERVIEWS
Progress Reports will be emailed to all families on Wednesday, November 24th. More information about accessing this will be forthcoming.
Parent teacher interviews will be taking place virtually on Thursday, November 25th from 3:30 pm – 8:30 pm and Friday, November 26th from 8:30 am – 3:00 pm. You will be sent a link that will allow you to schedule a time that fits with your child’s teacher’s/DECE’s, schedule. All appointments are based on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once the scheduling system is open, you will be notified. You will be able to schedule appointments up to November 24, at 11:00 pm.
Graduation Photos for our Grade 8s will occur early in 2022.
LOOKING FOR LUNCHTIME SUPERVISORS…
We can still use help in the 2 following areas:
1) Pizza days, every Tuesday in November, and into 2022. Helping to sort and deliver the pizzas to the classrooms. Please reach out directly to Michelle Penman email@example.com for additional details.
2) Recess and lunchtime supervision. Patrolling the perimeter of the school during recess and lunchtime to continue keeping our students and staff safe. Contact Michelle Ferguson firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
Follow the Library Learning Common on Twitter @GA_Library for more updates!
Mrs. Johnston went book shopping! Many new books are coming to LLC soon!
K-2 students had a great time sharing the story Hooray for Birds! by Lucy Cousins – there were lots of silly birds in the library!
Grade 3-7 classes that visited the library were treated to a preview of a different novel. In one class we had to play guess the number of pages and whoever was closest got to sign it out first!
Coming Up… The Forest of Reading is coming to GA! Check out the website: https://forestofreading.com/ Students read a set of books and get to vote for their favourite! Votes are submitted to the Forest of Reading and the authors and illustrators are celebrated at the Festival of Trees in the spring. Specific details coming in the next few weeks!
Black Friday and Christmas are both coming…use FlipGive and help raise funds for Guardian Angels! FlipGive is a free team funding app that earns the school cash back on every purchase made all year long! All you have to do is shop anytime with the brands you already love, like Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, Sport Chek, Indigo, Old Navy, Apple, Esso, and Loblaws. It’s completely virtual and contactless.
Join our team now and you’ll get a $5 bonus the first time you shop: https://flipgive.app.link/teams/join?fundraiser_name=Guardian&joincode=KYQWBT
Or enter this code: KYQWBT
Our Grade 7 and 8 students are currently preparing to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, which will be celebrated by Father Jim Petrie at St. Benedict Parish. The Grade 7 ceremony is this Monday, November 8th and the Grade 8 ceremony is on Tuesday, November 9th. We pray God will watch over the students during this Sacrament of Initiation. Please note: due to Covid-19 limitations, only the student, their parents and the sponsor are permitted to attend the event.
ST. BENEDICT PARISH NEWS
Unfortunately the Parish is unable to offer children’s liturgy in person at the church. However they are able to offer it virtually. Please find enclosed the links for the month of November:
November 7: https://bit.ly/3jya4zJ
November 14: https://bit.ly/3BqEk65
November 21: https://bit.ly/3pD6Pec
November 28: https://bit.ly/3GoF7b6
Saint Benedict Parish Mass times are as follows:
- Saturday afternoons at 5:00 pm
- Sunday mornings at 9:00 am, 10:30 am and 12:00 noon
Churches are permitted to celebrate Masses and other liturgies at capacity with social distancing. This roughly works out to 250 people in the church. The ‘first-come, first-served’ approach to attendance at Mass will continue. However, once capacity is reached, the doors will be locked and no one will be allowed in the building after this point.
Health protocols remain in place which means that social distancing of six feet between different social bubbles and face masks are mandatory in the church.
If you are unwell, please do not come to Mass. Please watch Mass on television or on the internet. One option is the parish livestreamed Mass which happens on Saturdays at 5:00 pm and is uploaded onto the parish YouTube channel for viewing the entire week. The parish YouTube channel link is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvwxxAJqkkVF7rAMBULIwtg/featured
The Special Education Advisory Committee’s (SEAC) mandate is to make recommendations to the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) in matters affecting the establishment and development of Special Education programs and services for students with exceptional needs.
SEAC is comprised of members nominated by local community associations and that are approved by the HCDSB. Parents that serve on SEAC come from local associations that promote the interests and well-being of students with exceptional needs and abilities.
To help raise awareness of the Special Education process at HCDSB, SEAC publishes periodic news articles called “SEAC SOUNDBYTES”. You find them on the HCDSB News page.
11th ANNUAL HCCF EVENING WITH BISHOP CROSBY – VIRTUAL EDITION
Wednesday, November 17, 2021. Reception at 6:30pm. Main Event at 7:00 – 8:30pm
The Halton Catholic Children’s Foundation (HCCF) supports HCDSB students in need with basic necessities (i.e. food and clothing) & with school activities that have a fee (i.e. team or club fees).
“With this funding the foundation has gratefully reduced the stress impacting the family and helped to ensure access to basic needs.” – HCDSB Social Worker
HCCF needs our help so they can continue to say “yes” to helping HCDSB students with financial barriers to learning.
They are looking for companies to be a sponsor at the event and for community members to purchase tickets and to donate.
It is NOT another Zoom call. We are using https://www.kumospace.com/ so you can have fun and interact with your friends. Enjoy a meal and your favourite beverage while you catch up with others.
Join the Halton Catholic Community for an entertaining experience where you can connect with your friends and hear Bishop Crosby’s stories, sense of humour and wisdom.
For more information visit https://www.hccf.ca/evening-with-bishop-crosby/
NO HATE IN HALTON
The #NoHateInHalton will launch on Monday, November 8th in schools across the Halton Region. This is a community campaign that was developed by our Halton Regional Police Services in collaboration with the four school districts in Halton.
As a school, we will be promoting this campaign through various activities in the classroom, and on social media. We are fortunate to live in such a vibrant and diverse community and are committed to nurturing a safe, welcoming and inclusive school where all students, families and staff know they are valued, respected, accepted and safe. Let’s work together to ensure that there is #NoHateInHalton!