Coming Soon! February 28, 2022
The Student Census 2022 will be implemented February 28 and April 4, 2022 (inclusive).
All students will be invited to complete the Student Census on a voluntary basis, as follows:
- Kindergarten – Grade 8
To be completed by parents and guardians
Why is it important to collect identify-based information?
- Identity-based data will allow HCDSB to better understand our students’ identities and experiences and support every student.
- It will also help address systemic barriers to student success and well-being, and it will help us foster a more welcoming and positive learning environment for all.
- All Ontario School Boards are required to collect identity-based data (via census) in compliance with Ontario’s Anti-Racism Data Standards (ARDS) under the 2017 Anti-Racism Act.
What is the purpose and outcome of the Student Census?
- To create and promote a more equitable and inclusive learning environment, where all students can achieve, believe, and belong.
- To help every student in the HCDSB.
- To achieve justice for every student in the HCDSB, as noted in Catholic social teachings.
- To verify, measure, address and monitor gaps and systemic disparities affecting students’ experiences and outcomes.” (Ministry of Education)
What information will the Student Census collect?
HCDSB’s Student Census will collect information about our student population, specifically it will collect identity-based data in ten different categories, including:
- Indigenous Identity
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Socio-economic Status
- Status in Canada
- First Language
For more information on the Student Census 2022 and how it aligns with the work at HCDSB, visit the Board’s website: Student Census 2022